7 Healthy snack ideas when travelling with kids
Josh and I are always trying to think of healthy snack ideas while we're travelling. Now that we have Zion it's become even more important to be able to provide him with healthy options which are also quick and easy! Nutritionist, Lynsey koch lives and breathes nutrition, the depth of her knowledge constantly surprises us. She also has a van and loves to explore with her husband and 2 little beauties when they can. So what better person to give us tips to snack well while on the road!
Life on the road can be sweetly serendipitous. Road trips are a wonderful opportunity to discover local foods and sample fresh, home grown farm produce you discover along the way. There is nothing better than waking up with the sun, surrounded with some beautiful scenery and eating a freshly made meal. This year we are blessed enough to travel and explore with our two little keiki’s, Willow (4) and Mililani (2), but it definitely means being better prepared.
Here are a few tips from us to prepare you for a wonderful camping experience on the road.
- Do some meal planning in advance and shop for all the non-perishables you need.
- Stock up on the staples (see list below).
- Food prep some snacks and any easy meals in advance. Almond and broccoli flat breads, activated nuts/seeds and some oat protein bars are easy to make and handy to have.
- Be well prepared with cooking supplies and eating utensils. A large pot, ceramic frying pan and two mixing bowls go a long way
- Use minimal dishes for less clean up. As long as you meal plan, you will know exactly what you need to prepare your chosen meals.
- Source your local farmers market for stocking up on the fresh whole fruits and veggies. For example, you can go to the Australian Farmers Market Association website here in Australia and use their ‘Find a Market’ tool to search for market via the postcode. Otherwise, word of mouth is also fantastic – ask the local!
Seven vegan snack ideas for travelling with kids.
1. Golden bliss balls (grab the recipe in the free download)
2. Vegan protein bars (grab this recipe also in the free download)
3. Roasted, spiced chickpeas
4. Chia pudding with coconut yogurt, berries, nuts & seeds
5. Apple with nut butter and cinnamon
6. Celery sticks with almond butter and sultanas/goji berries
7. Essene bread with organic peanut butter and banana